Saturday, July 21, 2007

Liniments

Last week I begun to make another batch of Chinese liniments. I had to order more herbs from Kamwo and they arrived while I was gone. I was aware of what I ordered to some extent. I know what tu bie chong is. I know to look for it in case its ever in a herbal formula I have to take internally. But when I opened the little brown bag with the herbs in it and stuck my hand down to 'sift' through the herbs, imagine my disgust at touching a dead wingless cockroach! Not just one, might I add. 12 grams worth of the little buggers. Now they float around in a jar of vodka, surrounded by roots, branches, leaves, hunks of unknown things, ect.

I wish I could have had to stomach to take pictures before I dumped everything into the jar. Is is some sort of weirdness that makes me think a dead bug will come alive and crawl on me? I have seen to many horror movies and sci-fi specials in my life for sure.

Here you will see a picture of what is in the jars. Many of the herbs have settled to the bottom or are ground into a powder. I have started 2 separate liniments. The first is a trauma liniment or die da jui.



The second is a tendon relaxing liniment.




These liniments can be purchased ready for use from Kamwo in NYC. I personally find it fun to make them myself. In an earlier post I explained that the liniments soak for 6 months or longer for a better stronger liniment. These will go off into the closet to emerge at a later date.

Peace and love all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating to learn! So you just let these mixtures sit undisturbed, or must you go and give them a good shake now & then? This shows you how much I know about making liniments ;o) Hope you're having a great weekend! ((HUGS))

Tiffany said...

Hello Tracy,

They are to be shaken each day but seem to do just fine if not. This batch has been shaken on occasion.

Thanks so much for the comments!