Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Old post from January 1, 2007

Wow. 2007. I remember as a child hearing my parents and grandparents... well, all OLD people.... talk about how fast the years go by. How foreign to me! The years were slow, it was taking forever to become 16 or 18 or 21.

Now the years go so fast I sometimes forget what year we are in. Sigh. I am old. I also had too much fun as a young person so the memory isn't as good as it should be.

Working in the Spa industry typically means working holidays. Yes folks, some spas are open on holidays but don't tell anyone. Yesterday I worked but thank the gods I am off today. New Years Day at the Spa means hung over people who probably should just stay in bed, not come to a spa feeling nauseous. But atlas, they want to be pampered. I send positive thoughts to my co-workers who had to work today. Hang in there guys/gals!

At the Spa we get guests who schedule a massage which by the details in the brochure and website, states it is a relaxing massage with long, slow, gentle strokes. Please note that we also have a deep tissue massage that, lo and behold, is deep in pressure. So when given an option, if you prefer to have someone dig into your muscles, schedule that deep tissue one. But these guests that want deep pressure when scheduling the relaxing massage (and not sure why..... didn't read the description? Trying to save a few bucks?) can be very demanding. "I like it DEEP! You can't hurt me." Well, yes we can but that is counterproductive, isn't it? Someone once stated to me that when you order a burger, do you get mad that you didn't get filet mignon?

But yesterday I had a gentleman who had that relaxing massage scheduled and wanted deep work. He was actually very polite about it, and listened as I explained what he had scheduled and what he is now asking for. But my karma needed a boast so I did work deeper on his back and neck, where it was truly needed. Many folks won't acknowledge you went beyond what you needed to do. This awesome guest did. He was very thankful that I did that for him. However, I did suggest that next time he schedule the deep tissue.

The moral of the story? Read the descriptions before you schedule. You can try to get one by and you might get a therapist capable of deeper work but maybe not.

Second moral? A lighter relaxing massage can do wonders for the soul. Relax the soul; the physical body will follow.

No comments: