Monday, August 20, 2007

What a pain in the neck!

Headaches often start out as tension in the neck muscles. There are various kinds of headaches though from sinus headaches, cluster headaches, hormone headaches and migraines. Most of these tips to helping control headaches are geared towards tension headaches.

It is estimated that 45 million Americans suffer from these various headaches, many chronically. Of those, 28 million have migraines. 60% of children suffer occasionally from headaches. The cost on the work force? $50 million in missed work days and doctor visits.

One definition of a headache states "pain in the head". Tension headaches often start out with a stiff neck, achy occiput region (the area right below your skull on the back of the neck) or even tension in the jaw. Everyone has different area's that might get tight and later cause a headache. The best thing we can do is prevent this tension from invading our bodies. Any form of bodywork that we received regularly can help immensely as well as doing yoga, qi gong and/or meditation. In my line of work, I have discovered that people with poor posture seem to be prone to headaches.

Preventing headaches is key. As a sufferer of both tension and migraine headaches, I speak from my own experience. As I mentioned above, getting regular bodywork is essential. Not only does this help your muscles relax, you are retraining your body on how it should move in a healthy way. You are learning to relax our shoulders, not walk about with them at your ears. How often a client has bodywork is up to each individual. I suggest a few sessions as close together as possible. Ex. once a week. After those sessions are complete, an evaluation is done to see the progress. Most clients then find they can space sessions further apart. Personally I like to go for my sessions once a month.

I mention yoga, meditation and qi gong again. Any of these techniques will stretch and relax the body and mind. When we learn to breath properly, our bodies benefit greatly. I have found that doing qi gong every day has made a world of difference in how I feel and the lack of headaches I get.

Often the spine is out of whack and needs a chiropractor. Talk to some local friends and search out a chiropractor in your area.

Chinese medicine can be a great tool also. Part of the treatments I receive involve bodywork (tui na), acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicines. Finding a qualified Licensed acupuncturist is getting easier and often is covered by insurance plans. To find a practitioner near you, click on the link to the left for the NCCAOM.

In the second part of this article, I will offer some easy at home things you can do to prevent headaches and to ease them once they have infringed on your life.

5 comments:

Lissa said...

Thanks for the info! I need to share that with my husband.

Anonymous said...

Good article! And very timely, as I've been experiencing a lot of headaches recently. Alway good with reminders and info on how to help one's self...sometimes we forget how! ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Tiff! I too suffer from headaches and welcome any information I can get to preventing and relieving them! I can't wait for part duex! Walking with your shoulders up to your ears is exactly how I feel most the time!

B said...

Wow, the cost to the workforce is staggering!
Nice article - looking forward to part 2...

Tiffany said...

lissa, more to come.

tracy, thanks and I am glad its usefull. considering what has happen in your life, I can only imagine you are getting headaches. HUGS!

patty, part two coming!

bevan, it is staggering, maybe inflatted a bit? you know how statistics are. lol