Thursday, September 6, 2007

Blogging etiquette

Maybe some of you more advanced bloggers can help me here. What sort of rules apply when blogging?

For instance, I just found my blog linked to a questionable website. Actually it was my article on headaches and trust me, this site has nothing to do with health. Maybe this is more a web etiquette issue in general. I was a bit shocked when I saw where I was linked and wonder if I contact that site, will they remove me from their list?

So is it courteous to ask permission before linking or are we all so hard up for more traffic that we don't care?

Personally I have many external links listed but mainly to direct readers in the right direction. The links are relavent to the subject at hand.

Could be I am thinking to into this and should just let it go.

Give me some advice people! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if you can stop other sites linking in to you. But if they are claiming to be associated or supported by you then complain. The only benefit they will get otherwise is if you link back to them.

I think I would ignore it and get on with building your site.

Tiffany said...

There is no claim of association, thank goodness. I would tell you where its linked but I don't want to direct traffic there! lol

I am just going to ignore for now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lissa said...

I agree..don't think there is much you can do about it. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask, but don't hold your breath.

Anonymous said...

You can ask to have your link removed...Nothing wrong with that if it's not a site you'd want to be listed at or even remotely associated with. Of course, though, it will be up to them to honor your request, and hopefully they will. We can't control what other folks do. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hopefully no harm done and all that. You have a great blog, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Well, from what I'm seeing you might not be able to keep others from linking to your site..... so in that case what you need to do is put up.... RIGHT UP FRONT a disclaimer that unless the person coming there to your site... sees that you have a link to the site that they came from....... that it is NOT one that you endorse..... nor aprove of! Maybe that will get attention of the negitive kind and they will drop the links to you. It's a wild thought but might work.