Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tui Na vs. Shiatsu

Tui Na defined by the AOBTA states the following:

"Tuina is a method of Chinese bodywork characterized by the smooth gliding or rolling movements of the hands and arms. Through Tui (push) and na (grasp), kneading, pressing, rolling, shaking, and stretching of the body, acupoints are opened and qi flow is realigned in the musculo-tendon meridians. Tuina techniques are used to treat a wide variety of musculoskeletal and internal organ disorders by opening stagnant meridian channels and encouraging the flow of qi into deficient areas. Tuina utilizes TCM theory in assessing energetic and functional disorders. In addition, the use of external herbal medicines and therapeutic exercise is also included."

Shiatsu defined by the AOBTA states:

"The primary emphasis of Five Element Shiatsu is to identify a pattern of disharmony through use of the four pillars of examinations and to harmonize that pattern with an appropriate treatment plan. Hands-on techniques and preferences for assessment varies with the practitioner, depending on their individual background and training. The radial pulse usually provides the most critical and detailed information. Palpation of the back and/or abdomen and a detailed verbal history serve to confirm the assessment. Considerations of the client's lifestyle, emotional, and psychological factors are all considered important. Although this approach uses the paradigm of the five elements to tonify, sedate, or control patterns of disharmony, practitioners of this style also consider hot or cold and internal or external symptoms and signs."

Actually the AOBTA defines a few styles of Shiatsu so I am sharing Five Element with you. My studies included Zen shiatsu, and theories of TCM and 5 Element. Combining all I was taught, I should just call it The Therapist Shiatsu. :)

In my Shiastu training, we did learn many of the same hand techniques that I have learnt in my future studies in Tui Na. So I am finding it hard to define my sessions with clients. Some Shiatsu clients have noticed a slight difference in my work and really enjoy it but all I have done is included some of the protocol I am learning in Tui Na class. They ask me, what are you doing, Shiastu or Tui Na? Well, definitely both. They ask, is one better then the other? Hell no, they are both excellent modalities.

Now I am left wondering what to say the session is and I think Asian Bodywork is ok but still very extensive in possibilities. It has become obvious that it is impossible for me to say..... This session is shiatsu or this session is tui na.

3 comments:

John said...

I think The Mrs. would like either of those. My version? Rub her back (in a lackluster fashion) for three minutes and then turn over and go to sleep.

Am I doing something wrong?

B said...

How about calling what you do Shiatsu-Na? :)
Seriously though, I don't think there is anything wrong with calling it shiatsu and incorporating tui na techniques or vice versa.....after all they are just convenient labels to hang a little familiarity on.

Tiffany said...

John,

not wrong, just not right. :)

bevan,

shiatsu na..... I like it. :)