Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

For many this is a happy time to celebrate and appreciate motherhood. I also expressed gratitude too my mother, I bought her a stepping stone at the local street fair here in York. She really seemed to like it and placed it in her flower garden for all to see. 

To those who have lost their mothers or have had the unfortunate 'bad' parent, this day can just outright suck. How does one pretend to express happiness to a mother who was abusive or neglectful? There can be an overwhelming grief for many today and often no way to let those feelings out. 

For me, I think that holiday's like this one are bogus. Why not express love every day? Why do I have to go out and buy a card and present, as though my mother doesn't know I love her? After 30+ years of cards and dinners and gifts, it gets harder to do. Almost like "Hey we get it.... you  mothered me, good for you!" 

I always tell me daughter not to buy cards. One day I hope that she will write me something personal as that would mean much more then a card randomly selected from 100's on the shelf. This morning she did make me breakfast. Bless her heart, last night she thought she would prepare for it, she peeled and grated potatoes to make this morning. What she wasn't aware of, is that potatoes turn brown if not placed in cold water, which she didn't do. Then for whatever reason, she still made the potatoes, even in their brown state. LOL  There is one mistake she won't repeat. :)

To end my thoughts, I just like to send out some hugs to those who need it. You know who you are. 

HUGS!!!!!!

No comments: