Saturday, May 17, 2008

The power of Tui Na and Shaitsu

The other day I had a client whom I have been giving massage to for some time. She presents with headaches that stem from her occiput, lower back pain and some arm issues. Actually she is a body worker too! Her sessions are on average every 2 weeks to which I work mostly on the neck but some time on the arms and back.

One day she decided to try something new. She came in for a session of Asian Bodywork. I did a combination of Shiatsu and Tui Na, really working on loosening up the spine and pelvis. Her feedback was positive, the difference compared to massage was good and she felt stretched and open.

A few days later, I emailed to check in. She replied that her lower back pain was completely gone! Two weeks after that session she came for a session on her neck and at that point the low back was still painless.

Massage in itself can be very powerful but I have been seeing its limitations too. There are many forms of massage so I can't speak for them all, only what I do, of course. Where there are limitations for massage, I see Asian Bodywork filing that gap easily. It is always amazing to me how powerful it is and while I feel at times that I am still learning, I feel that way about LIFE! But there has become an ability to see beyond what the eye sees and calculate what needs to be done to get results and that makes a great difference in the work I do. It brings an intense direction to the bodywork which brings better results.

I am not sure if other bodyworkers get this 'ding', see the 'light'! Like my mind says "Oh, that is what the teacher has been talking about!" Maybe I am just slow. :) All I know is, I want to do more and more Asian Bodywork so Universe, bring it on!

No comments: